In this study, a group of lucky nail salon shadow shoppers was asked to visit professional nail salons and report on their hygiene levels. Over 50 nail salons were visited and, according to the study, more than a third of the salons visited were found to be unsatisfactory, with their main complaints being bad hygiene standards, poor customer service and shoddily done manicures.
Upon entering the salon, the participants were instructed to request a complete manicure, tell the nail artist that they had never had a professional manicure done before, then ask the salon professional to describe what the process entailed. After the session was over, each of the participants were asked to fill a questionnaire, reporting on various aspects of their experience – levels of hygiene observed, how long the manicure took and how much it cost and whether the experience was satisfactory or not.
According to the report, 92% of the technicians who attempted to use metal cuticle clippers on the shadow shoppers didn’t put on gloves. Even worse, they did not use an implement that was package-sealed, even though half of the nail technicians claimed the instrument had been autoclaved (autoclaving is the process of heating water above boiling point in a pressurized device – it is the safest way to sterilize equipment). The shoppers also reported several hygiene breaches on equipment such as nail files and buffers, which should either be disposable or cleaned between clients. A few salons had surfaces that weren’t cleaned between clients and were covered in dust, or even pieces of skin. In one salon, a technician kept her dirty implements in the cash drawer.
What To Look For In A Nail Salon
Here are some of the things you look for when visiting a nail salon:Pedicure Columbia SC
– Use only accredited salons and technicians and look for certifications of competency, which should be displayed prominently in the salon.
– The salon should be clean and tidy, with linen and towels changed between clients.
– All chemicals should be in clearly marked containers.
– Metal tools that could penetrate the skin should be sterilized in an autoclave.
– Non-disposable nail implements should be rinsed, scrubbed in tepid water and detergent and dried, or wiped with 70% alcohol between clients.
– Some nail salons keep implements especially set aside for each regular client. You should ask your nail technician to do this for you, if you are a regular client of a nail salon.
get to know more children manicure Columbia sc